Receive detailed feedback on those all-important opening pages of your book. The Opening Chapters service includes a bespoke report on your narrative style, use of dialogue and structure, plus a 30-minute follow-up call.
The opening pages of your book are some of the most important you write. Will you hook your reader and make them want to read on? Do you start telling your story at the moment that's going to have the biggest impact? Have you introduced key characters at the right time? This editing service is perfect for writers either looking for feedback on a manuscript they're getting serious about, or those looking for guidance as they start preparing to submit to editors, literary agents or self-publish.
How it Works
Read our short guide to the Opening Chapters service.
- Receive an appraisal from a genre-specific editor expert, who will evaluate the strengths/weaknesses of your narrative, pace, dialogue, style, and more.
- Speak to your editor direct in a follow-up phone call of 30 minutes, enabling you to further discuss points raised in your report and any other questions you might have.
Please note: unless alternative arrangements have been agreed with W&A Admin and your Editor, your follow-up call must take place no more than two weeks after receiving your report.
What You Need To Submit
Before payment, you will need to complete our online form providing information about your book, as well as selecting your preferred editor.
After payment, you will need to submit the opening three chapters of your manuscript, taking into account the word limit you selected upon purchase. You also need to upload either a synopsis or chapter outline.
If you are writing fiction or narrative non-fiction, please upload a one-page synopsis. Please read our Writing a Synopsis guide.
If you are writing subject-led non-fiction you need to upload a chapter outline. This should be no more than 5 pages. Please read our Writing a Chapter Outline guide for more information.
Pricing and next steps
All prices are inclusive of VAT.
After payment, please upload the required documents via the 'Services in Progress' area of your dashboard. The service cannot begin until you have uploaded all the documents.
Arrangements for your follow-up call with the editor will also be made via the 'Services in Progress' area of your dashboard.
Accessible To All
It’s of real importance to Writers & Artists that our editing services, events and writing courses remain accessible to all.
- As part of our accessibility scheme, Writers & Artists are pleased to be able to offer financial assistance towards selected editing services. Please visit our bursaries page for further information about how to apply.
- Our 2023-24 bursary funding runs until the end of February 2024.
- Bursary applications for 2023-24 funding must be submitted by no later than 31st January 2024.
- Please note that payment instalment plans are available for all W&A events, writing courses and editing services. Contact W&A Admin on email@example.com so that we can find a payment schedule that works for you.